Have you ever looked at what’s in canned cream of mushroom soup? You should be quite horrified. I know I was. It’s not only full of bad ingredients but it’s also 16 carbs per cup! And because condensed cream of mushroom soup is a “secret ingredient” in so many quick holiday meal favorites, you know you wind up eating a lot more of it than you think. If I can help you make your own keto cream of mushroom soup, what’s to stop you using it as the extra super secret ingredient in your own green bean casserole? Although, I’m not a fan of green beans so I’ll make an asparagus casserole using this delicious low carb, keto cream of mushroom recipe. This recipe is less than 8 carbs per cup and is also thick just like what you’d see in a can of the fake cream of mushroom soup. Haha that’s only funny because it’s a true statement. This whole recipe makes a little over 46oz, or about 6 cups. It’s thick almost like the concentrate coming directly out of the can, so if you are eating this as a soup then you’ll need to add more broth or omit 1 Tbsp arrowroot! Hope you enjoy this healthy substitution in a few of your holiday recipes as much as we do!
Keto Cream of Mushroom Soup
What you need
- 4 Tbsp Regular Butter
- 24 Oz White mushrooms 3 carbs
- 1 Medium white onion chopped
- Whole garlic bulb chopped
- 2 1/4 Cups of chicken broth Kettle and Fire (2 carbs)
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream grass fed (16 carbs)
- 1/2 Cup Whole Milk grass fed (5 and a half carbs)
- 3 Tbsp Arrowroot 20 carbs
- Melt the butter in a big pan before adding the chopped onions. Saute them until golden brown, but not caramelized.
- Add the chopped mushrooms at that time and cook for about 15 minutes until all juices have been released.
- Add the chopped garlic and continue to cook about 5 minutes giving time for the garlic to bloom.
- Then add the broth. I used "Kettle and Fire" brand chicken bone broth with the lion's main mushrooms and I must say, I'll never use anything else for this recipe.
- You'll want to blend up some of the mushrooms with a stick blender if you have one. If you don't have a stick blender simply remove half of the mushrooms and blend them up the old fashioned way before returning them to the pan. Or you can leave it chunky too! After all, you are the chef in your keto kitchen.
- In a bowl, whisk the arrowroot, milk and heavy cream together before adding to the pan. Stir to combine.
- Within a few minutes you'll have yourself the best cream of mushroom soup you've ever tasted.
2 thoughts to “Keto Cream of Mushroom Soup”
I think I’ll try this with xanthum gum. Looks great!
We try to avoid all those gums around here but I’m sure that will taste fabulous! It is definitely a powerful thickener. Let me know how that turns out for you. 🙂