Ketopig's Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
What You Need
- 1 Big Head Cauliflower
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 2 Tbsp Cream Cheese
- 2 Tsp Mustard Powder
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 Tsp White Pepper
- 1 Tsp Arrowroot
- 1 Cup Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Cheddar cheese (Topping)
- 1/4 Cup Parmesan cheese (Topping)
- Sprinkle Smoked Paprika (Topping)
- 1/2 Pound Bacon (Topping)
- 2-3 Stalks Green Onions (Topping)
Turn oven tempter to 350 degrees F.
- Clean and cut the florets. Steam the florets for 10 minutes over medium heat or until soft.
- To make sauce pour the heavy cream in a heavy bottom pot. Add the cream cheese, mustard powder, smoked paprika, garlic, white pepper and whisk.
- Add the 1 cup of cheddar to the cheese sauce and mix until melted.
- Remove the florets from the heat and put in a baking dish. Pour the cheese sauce over the florets.
- Sprinkle on the smoked paprika, 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, 1/4 cup parmesan cheese and bacon. Save the green onions until after you take out of the oven.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
I prefer to steam the florets because it's the easiest and fastest way to have dinner on the table in less than thirty minutes. The cauliflower holds water if you boil it. I have also baked it before adding the cheese sauce and it seems like a lot of unnecessary work and time. I like using the mustard powder because it compliments the cheese sauce without the vinegar from regular bottled mustard. Depending on what kind of cheese you use you may or may not need the arrowroot powder. For example the pre-shredded cheese has thickeners in it to keep it from sticking together, you won't need the arrowroot but if you're like me and you shred your own quality grass fed cheese you may want that tsp of arrowroot powder. I've made it without just to see and it's not as thick. It really isn't something to worry about if you don't have arrowroot handy. I also tried mascarpone cheese in this recipe instead of cream cheese and it was so delicious creamy and rich.