Keto Caramel For Candy Apples
- 1/3 Cup Butter Salted
- 2/3 Cup Heavy Cream
- 2 Cups Monkfruit Sweetener Golden
- 2 Cups VitaFiber Syrup
- 20-30 Chips Lily's Chocolate Chips Gives Color
- 2 Tbsp Arrowroot Starch
- 1 Tsp Caramel Extract Optional
- First make your slurry with the arrowroot and either milk or heavy cream. You only need 3 tbsp of liquid to mix in arrowroot and set aside. You will put this in towards the end.
- Over medium heat, add the butter and monk fruit sweetener (golden brown helps with color.)
- Next add the Vitafiber and mix well. Let cook on medium heat for about ten minutes making sure all the sugar crystals have dissolved.
- Add only the heavy cream at this step, not the slurry mixture.
- Add the chocolate chips you have. I've used both regular chocolate and the caramel chocolate; both work great and does not take over the caramel flavor because you're only putting in a small amount. This will give you the color to make it look like caramel.
- Turn heat to low and add in your slurry. Once mixed, turn heat back up for 5 minutes. Let the sauce get really hot to the point of making some small bubbles.
- Remove from heat and wait a few minutes to cool just a bit before adding the caramel extract if you decide to add it.
- The magic happens when it's cooling! It will be a perfect consistency when it's not hot to the touch. I had to heat the sauce back up couple times during the apple dipping and so I can tell you it reheats nicely.
- Pro tip: add the sprinkles/candy toppings as soon as you pull the apple out of the caramel so it will stick. If you wait even just 10 seconds it will harden but not a problem just re-dunk the apple. If the apples are cold right out of the fridge it will only help the hardening of the caramel. The end product is a matte caramel not sticky to the touch. Makes for biting into them more fun and less messy too!